By Steven M. Gursten, attorney and President of Michigan Auto Law
Pedestrian car accidents are a serious concern for everyone who walks or travels by foot. In fact, over two million pedestrians were injured in motor vehicle accidents just last year alone. A pedestrian is any person who is not in a vehicle or on a bicycle.
Fortunately, if you have been injured while walking or traveling by foot you may be entitled to receive compensation for your medical bills and other expenses caused by your injuries. In order to determine whether you have a viable claim it is important that you speak with an experienced attorney about your case today.
Pedestrian injuries can be some of the most devastating accidents
Pedestrians are often at greater risk of suffering serious injuries or death in a crash because they do not have the protections that vehicle occupants do such as safety belts, airbags and other safety features. Pedestrians have no such protection. It is the pedestrian’s body versus the vehicle’s steel frame. Under that scenario, pedestrians are vulnerable to injury or death by being hit by a car or truck.
Drivers must obey speed limits and stop signs, as well as keep their eyes on the road at all times so they don’t hit pedestrians crossing streets or walking along sidewalks. This is especially crucial near busy intersections where there might be more cars coming from different directions than usual because of an event, incident or accident nearby (such as one involving multiple vehicles).
An Injured pedestrian may be able to pursue a personal injury lawsuit
If you were injured while walking or traveling by foot, you may be entitled to seek compensation for your injuries. A personal injury lawsuit allows a person who has been injured to hold the responsible party accountable for their actions.
In order to win a personal injury case, it is important that you understand your rights as an injured pedestrian and know what steps must be taken for you to successfully seek justice and fair compensation for your injuries.
To learn more about what your pedestrian injury case may be worth, please check our “Car Accident Settlement Calculator.”
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, you may be entitled to receive compensation
If you are injured as a pedestrian, here are some things to consider:
● Be sure to get medical treatment immediately after the accident. You should also seek out medical treatment even if no one tells you that they see signs of an injury; doctors can often spot problems that people don’t know about themselves until later on.
● If possible, try getting treatment from doctors who specialize in treating car crash victims so that they can provide more specialized care.
Your rights matter when it comes to recovering for your injuries after being involved in an accident
● You have rights. The first thing to do after being involved in a pedestrian accident is to understand your legal rights.
● You should always ensure you know what those rights are and how they apply to your case, especially when it comes to making sure that you receive compensation for any injuries sustained as a result of someone else’s negligence or misconduct.
● You can do this by speaking with an attorney who specializes in helping pedestrians who have been injured in a crash.